The Leiston Big Weekend is set for May 2020, beginning with the council’s VE day commemorations on Friday the 8th May, followed on Saturday the 9th May by a parade and a huge day of music, fun and markets, then finishing with a family-friendly outdoor cinema event and fireworks in the evening.
Leiston’s Big Weekend is proudly sponsored by EDF.
Thanks to all who voted for their choice of movie. The popular choice was “The Greatest Showman”! We hope you are as excited about this as we are!
Dress Like A Movie Star
The theme for Saturday is “At the Movies”, and we hope to see you all dressed as your favourite stars of the silver screen.
Leiston’s Oscars Awards Ceremony
As no movie-themed event would be complete without the Oscars, we’ve decided to host our own little awards ceremony to celebrate the good work of the people of Leiston.
Please vote here!
Awards categories include:
- Outstanding contribution to the community
- Young person of the year
- Best environmental champion
- Good neighbour award
- Sporting hero
Final details of the awards categories will be released soon, and you will be invited to nominate groups and individuals to receive each award. Keep an eye out around town and on Facebook for nomination details — You’ll be able to vote online and at the Town Council (and possibly more places if we can arrange it).
FRIDAY 8TH MAY: VE Day 75th Anniversary Commemorations 1pm – 4.30pm
Friday’s event is organised by Leiston– cum– Sizewell Town Council with other local organisations and individuals to commemorate the 75th VE Day Anniversary.
- Wreath Laying and Service at the War Memorial 11.00am
- Parade of Uniformed Groups (Meeting Londis Car Park 12.30pm)
- Service of Remembrance 1.30pm
- Residents Afternoon Tea for locals over 75 / World War II Veterans
- Picnic in the Park for Families
- National Toast 3.00pm
- Entertainment including music from the Leiston Royal British Legion Band
- Sunset Salute
Leiston Town Council is inviting all WWII veterans and people over 75 to an afternoon tea at Victory Road Park on the 8th May 2020.
If you are 75 or older or have a relative who is 75 or older and would like to attend the Afternoon Tea, please let the Town Clerk at the Council Offices have your name and contact details or Tel: 01728 830388 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we are only able to allocate 75 places.
SATURDAY 9TH MAY: “At the Movies” themed Day and Cinema in the Park 1pm-10pm
- Procession – Themed ‘At the Movies’ – Floats and Walkers
- Stock’s Fun Fair
- Leiston Community Arts and Crafts Fair plus other Local Stalls/Food/Drink
- Live music celebrating local acts
- Skate Jam
- Central Ring with Dog Show, Performers, Wellie Wheelie Olympics, Tug of War
- Punch and Judy and much more ….
- Cinema in the Park and Firework finale
Leiston Business Involvement
This is a great event for Leiston and a chance to showcase your Business/Group/Organisation, so please get involved and give your support.
The day will commence with a themed parade through the town and we would like to have lots of Businesses/Groups/Organisations taking part in all/any of the following: –
- Join the ‘At the Movies’ themed parade to advertise or promote your business/group/ organisation and have some fun either entering a float or by dressing up/walking.
- Enter into the spirit of the weekend by dressing your shop window and/or wear costume, with either an ‘At the Movies’ or ‘V E Day’ theme.
- Promote and advertise your business/group/organisation by booking a pitch/stall on the Saturday afternoon. (Please contact us for ideas if needed).
- Limited spaces for your Business/Group/Organisation banner, displayed at the event for a £20 donation.
Extra help on the day would be appreciated with setting up, marshalling or clearing away at the end. All sponsors will be acknowledged at the event.
Book A Stall
Download the Leiston Big Weekend 2020 booking forms:
- Booking Form for Commercial Participants (docx file)
- Booking Form for Craft Stalls (docx file)
- Food & Beverage Vendor Booking Form (docx file)
Email the form to us to book your stall now! Forms can also be taken in person to Nichols Butchers or the Town Council office in the Main Street.
PLEASE RETURN THIS FORM BY 29TH FEBRUARY 2020.
Let’s make this the best “Big Weekend” so far!